Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Your Finish Line Feeling


As some of you gear up for Thanksgiving you might be doing some type of Turkey Run. How do you feel at the finish line?

Honestly I’m still in race mode by the time I hit the finish. Some people grin from ear to ear, some are clenched with a seriousness, and some people are dragging themselves to that beautiful sign that says “FINISH”.  I am still thinking about seconds as I hit the finish and am within myself not taking the time to smile. This doesn’t mean that I’m not having the time of my life! Before I race I prepare myself mentally. This usually begins the night before the race. I envision what type of race I’m going to have and think “happy” thoughts on a very positive outcome. I’ve even had written statements that I read and re-read to help prepare me for the upcoming day.

I love to race and it brings out part of me I did not know was there. Somewhere deep inside lays a beast inside of me waiting to conquer the thrill of speed in a triathlon and that beast unleashes as soon as I hit the water! I get extremely nervous before I go out because I know how hard I am about to push my body. This takes a degree of mental toughness and preparedness. I would like to think that nervous feeling before a race is my adrenaline pumping up ready to go out and conquer the water and road.

I also had a tough time off of the bike this year. I just did not have the aerobic base I needed to be “comfortable”. I “survived” the run by saying a mantra through my head and much of my racing this year came down to obtaining enough points for me to nab a spot in the top three in my age group in the Virginia Triathlon Series. When I felt depleted I would keep thinking “the faster I run, the more points I will get”, “push hard”, and “dig deep”.  In racing I dig deep within myself and find that mental toughness to help me push myself as hard as I can. I know as I run towards the finish line that every second counts, so I am focused on running as hard as I can to get there, and when I hit that line I slow down and turn into a walk. But while my body has stopped working as hard, my mind needs time to shift from race mode to people mode. I am so deep within myself while racing that it isn’t a light that I can just shut off when I come through the chute.


There was one race this year, however, where I grinned from ear to ear the entire race and that was at the Age Group Sprint Nationals in Burlingon, Vermont. I had trained hard the entire year and waited for that moment an entire season and there I was – FINALLY – at the most important race for me of the year. I was having so much fun that I did not want that finish line to be there. I wanted to keep running and running and had the most euphoric happy feeling with the sun beating down on my face.
Age Group Sprint National Championship
Burlington, VT

Every race is fun for me but we all express this fun in a different way. You don’t have to smile to be having a good time. That person with the serious expression at the finish line might just still be in “race mode” and need to return to earth. Remember to have fun, push hard, and that pain is temporary, and it’s ok not to smile at the finish line! It doesn’t mean you aren’t having a GREAT time! Happy Thanksgiving to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment