Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Philosophical Discussion on Sports


Yesterday I met the father of a friend for the very first time. He is a physicist from California and it’s one of the deepest conversations I have had with any one in a LONG time. 

I didn’t do sports in high school or college. I did archaeology and science. That was my thing. I was a thinker and really not a follower. I was an idealist and really thought I was going to help “save” the world. I searched for the right path in college on how to save the world but at the end of the day I decided the best place to start is in your own world and I personally could only touch one life at a time. I had daydreamed of traversing exotic lands (and still do) saving lives as a medical doctor and collecting plants around the world that could save lives.

At some point you grow up, you have children, and for me I realized I couldn’t bear to be away from my children. Other people are happy following their career and conquering the world but after a Masters in Chemistry and Biology and almost a doctorate in Pharmacognosy, I decided I was really happy being a mom. On top of that I ended up becoming a homeschool mom and I’m with my children ALL the time but they are so young and I hate missing out in their lives and I feel like I have so much to teach them.

So the deep philosophical conversation with my friend’s father came down to his opinion that anybody can do sports but not everyone can be a great thinker, leader, and discover something that will help mankind. He really felt his daughter and I should get together and come out with that great discovery –whatever that might be.

Now, this has got to be coming from a guy who did not raise three children and was not with three small children ALL day long trying to nurture and teach them as much as possible. I can’t remember the last time I even went to the bathroom alone much less find that time to make the great discovery that is going to change the world.

What I did do was find MUCH happiness in sports. Go figure after thousands and thousands of dollars on enlightening education and travelling the world, I found comfort, stability, and happiness in exercise. It is quite the balancing aspect of my life. It makes me a better parent and a better person for the world. For now I can only start with me and the people in my world. Saving the world will have to come later – after I’m done preparing and serving ten trillion meals a day, teaching my kids how to read, and empowering their minds with the truth lying within science and history. While anybody can do sports, I sure did find a place for it in my life and in my path towards happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment