Tuesday, November 13, 2012

How I became a faster triathlete


People ask me all the time: How did you get so much faster?


After last year I was determined to make it to the podium at the triathlons I competed in. I was biking and running on my own and had a swim coach Lynda Calkins at the downtown Roanoke YMCA.  At the first and second race of the season I found myself at the podium but I wanted more and I wanted to be faster and I admired other Virginia triathletes like Kate Fisher.

During the first race of the season I got to see my friend Kate. We were competing in the first race of the Virginia Triathlon Series, the Smithfield Sprint located in Smithfield, Virginia. We were discussing how we do it with young children and then she revealed she had a coach. I had heard of her coach Jim McGehee. Someone in Roanoke had mentioned if you wanted to be faster than that is the guy to contact.

Time passed and then I realized the girl beside me at another local race was also coached by Jim. I started to see the pattern. Those fast gals at the podium were being coached by Jim McGehee. It was time to contact him!

I contacted him but was in great fear of spending even more money in triathlon but boy I would pay that guy a million dollars if I had it to have his coaching services. There is no price you can put on amazing coaching like that. He started coaching me on May 7th and very, very quickly I lost a lot of time on the bike. Enough time to keep me at the podium this year.

What I learned most from Jim this year was to give it my all. I had never really pushed before during a race and was scared to give it what I really had. I also really needed a mantra to help me get through the run. I really struggled on the run portion this year but am so happy to say that with my post season base building I am making great strides in running right now!

What I also got out of Jim’s coaching was to REALLY ENJOY training. I’m not so sure I was enjoying training on my own but he has really made it fun for me and I really look forward to it now. It is really the balance my life has needed. I’m so lucky I found an amazing coach like Jim McGehee with One-on-One Endurance Coaching. I think to be here you really have to want it and work for it and you may not get there without the right guidance. I eat, sleep, and breathe it and am very focused for next year!

1 comment:

  1. He's a great coach for sure and clearly you are doing your part to put in the consistent work and effort!! :-)

    ReplyDelete