Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My 2012 Triathlon Season


I had three goals for the 2012 triathlon season:
1. Close the gap on the bike;
2.  Make the top three in my age group in the Virginia Triathlon Series; and
3.  Make TEAM USA Triathlon by qualifying at the Age Group Sprint Triathlon Nationals so I can compete at the Age Group Sprint Triathlon World Championship in London in September 2013.

After much hard work and under the coaching of One-on-One Endurance Coach Jim McGehee (www.oneononeendurance.com)  I was able to reach all of these goals!


                    Coach Jim McGehee – One-on-one Endurance

Closing the gap on the bike really came down to increasing my cadence and with an increased cadence and specific workouts from my coach I was able to lose a lot of time on the sprints this year.  I really had very little understanding of the bike before I started with Coach Jim’s training.

In order to place in the Virginia Triathlon Series you have to race at least five races and you receive points from each race based on the average of the top five female athletes and the weight of the race. I became quite obsessed with these points as some folks can tell you and I ended up racing twelve sprint triathlons in the Virginia Triathlon Series in 2012. Honestly I was out there to try to increase the number of points I had in five races so I could hold a spot in the top three in my age group. I had a huge leap in points once I took on Coach Jim McGehee in May. I also placed at every Virginia race from the time I took him on as a coach.  Not only did I place but I found myself in the top 4-7 in all of the races I competed in. I won overall at one super sprint triathlon in South Carolina as well. 

    Age Group Sprint Nationals August 2012 Burlington, Vermont

 I went to the Age Group Sprint Nationals in Burlington, Vermont in August and there I was able to secure a spot on TEAM USA Triathlon. I can’t wait to go to London next year to compete in the 2013 Age Group Sprint Triathlon World Championship! The goal is to take my family including my husband and three children.

So it was an amazing year and most of all I had a great time and found balance as a parent of three children ages 7 , 5, and 2.  None of this is possible without an amazing coach and one very strong support system of a husband and mother to help with the kids.







No comments:

Post a Comment