Monday, November 26, 2012

What do you love about Triathlon?


When I first started doing triathlons, everybody I was swimming with seemed to be doing them. Someone said “You need a coach”. This was in 2010 when I had just made it across the pool lane in May and was so green on the bike I barely knew how to stop it. I had no idea why I needed a coach, but ok, I asked our swim instructor if he would coach me because he was coaching other triathletes and just happened to be a 1987 Kona Ironman winner. At this time I had no idea what that meant but he was also my swim coach and I loved his class!

Pat Bateman - One Awesome Guy and Amazing Coach!
The guy who got me from bobbing to swimming!

I had my first meeting with this coach, Pat Bateman, of Roanoke, VA in 2010. He wanted to know what my goals were and explained to me his costs and the costs of online coaching services. I still had no idea why I needed a coach and he asked me “Well, what do you like about triathlon?”. I couldn’t really answer that. I guess I liked the energy of the crowd and race. I had only done all women triathlons at that point in 2010 including the Ramblin’ Rose in Raleigh, NC in May (super sprint), the Ramblin’ Rose in Rock Hill, SC in July (super sprint), Pink Power presented by 3Sports in Richmond, VA in August (sprint), and the Trek Women Triathlon Series at Walt Disney World, FL in September (open water sprint).  It was really all a haphazard start with no goals.

In the late summer Pat Bateman taught me simple things with my bike like how to break, how to put up one foot on the turns, how to shift my gears, how to bike out of the saddle, and how to ride on the road with cars. He didn’t give me any training plans. He knew I had a baby, a two year old, and a four year old. But he took the time to meet with me and SHOW me simple things on the bike and run.


So, I still ask the question, “What is it that I love about triathlon?”.  I am still unable to sum up WHAT it is that I really love. Is it the energy of the race? Is it the travel to the site? Is it loving that feeling of challenging yourself and pushing yourself? Is it that competitiveness that lies deep inside that unleashes during a race? Is it the beer glass or medal you win at the end? Or is it the LIFESTYLE?


Race Wreath with Race Bling                        Beer Glass Win

The answer might just lie in the lifestyle because it doesn’t all boil down to race day. It is the day in and day out it takes to prepare for that moment on race day. It’s getting up early most mornings while others sleep so you can get in a swim, bike, or run. It’s that balance training gives to your life and feeling you get every day from training. It’s that part of the day I look forward to when I get time with myself. It’s the balance I needed and found. What is it that you love? Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment