Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A bit of early morning Triathlon Humor

It was actually a beautiful full moon this morning! I should have taken a picture!
This is a picture I took from the morning of  a race I did in South Carolina where I took an overall win!

I got up early like usual this morning so I could get my run and swim in. It takes me about thirty minutes to get to the gym where I swim. About five minutes from the gym at a quarter until six I had a flat tire! Luckily I saw a parking lot on the left and pulled over. 5:45 AM. It was dark. My husband and kids were in bed. My husband is so supportive that he will drop the kids off at the gym to me at 7:30 AM and we switch cars so he can go to work. I really thought it was much too early to call him and get the kids out of bed. And it was ridiculous to just sit in the car for the next hour and forty five minutes. There were quite a few trucks parked in the parking lot with more trucks pulling in. So I approached a guy in his truck to tell him I had a flat and if there was any way he could give me a ride. He said he had to be at work in 20 minutes and wanted to know how far it was. I said it was just down the road. He and the other guys in the parking lot were all construction workers about to start work on a building across the street. Another guy who had just pulled in said he was a nice guy and their boss was nice so it should be fine if he didn’t get back in time. So, this very nice construction worker and stranger gave me a ride to the gym this morning! Very thoughtful of him! He said he could tell I was on a mission!! But, yes, I REALLY needed to get that run and swim in!! However, I am not saying go up to any stranger and bum a ride to the gym to get a workout in. I was lucky I got a flat where I did early this morning.

So, here is my early morning humor. You know you are a triathlete when:
1. You bum a ride from a stranger in a pick-up truck at 5:45 AM so you can get your 
     workout in;
2.  You get to scrape the frost off your windows before everyone else gets out of bed;
3.  You get to see how bright and beautiful the moon and stars are on your run;
4.  You get to see the mist coming up off the ponds you pass by early in the morning;
      AND
5.  You get to see your breathe with every stride in the cold and darkness!

Have fun training and remember to thank the construction workers in life who are happy to help out a desperate triathlete! 

No comments:

Post a Comment