Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How to get a fast T1 with little effort: Tri-Clips


If nothing else this year in 2012, I had a fast T1 time. I can thank my Tri-Clips for this time save. Tri-Clips are a way to attach your bike shoes to the bike in the transition area without using rubber bands. Talking about saving time and money! They are great for practicing your mounting and dismounting because you don’t have to put rubber bands back on every time and it makes setting your bike up in the transition area a breeze.


Tri-Clips are clips that attach to your frame using Velcro straps. You can then attach the clip to the back of your shoes. This will hold your shoes in place and when you leave T1 to mount they will unclip as you start to pedal.



A friend had told me if there is anything you can easily do to save on time, it’s to save time on your transitions. I first met my friend Kate from Richmond at the Three Sports Sprint in the Virginia Triathlon Series in 2011. I was waiting to go out on the swim and in the meantime I was watching everyone in the transition area. All of the guys coming out were fumbling through T1 and taking their time. No offense to guys but these were the only other people in the transition area when I was watching! Then there came this beautiful woman running through T1 flawlessly passing everyone and mounting with ease and perfection. It was really beautiful. I thought: “I have to meet this girl!”. At the end of the race I met her and told her how beautiful her T1 was and she was the one who had told me “The easiest way to lose time is on your transitions”.

So in 2012 I decided I would try the flying mount and dismount to save time and attach my shoes to my bike. When reading online about how to attach my shoes to my bike I came across Tri-Clips. They were super easy to attach and I was slipping my feet in my shoes with ease while they were still attached to the bike! I love doing this so much that I would rather slip my feet in my shoes than try to clip in with my own feet! It just takes too much time to clip your bike shoes in even when you are out on a joy ride!

So boy did I have some fast T1 times this year! I can thank Tri-Clips for that! You don’t have to do a flying mount or dismount either! You can just walk or run your bike out of T1, place one of your feet in a shoe calmly, and then place your other foot in when you get on. It’s really easy and saves SO much time! Love them! I also love that they don’t cost much! A pair costs $22.99. You can find out more about them and order a pair at www.tri-clips.com

No comments:

Post a Comment