Monday, April 1, 2013

Tri Bag Checklist - Get your Pink ON ;)

It's the week I start packing my tri bag for my first race of the season which will be on Saturday April 6th! Note: I never leave my tri bag in the transition area. It takes up TOO much space!


Transition bag from Rocket Science Sports
This is my infamous pink transition bag. When I was lined up in the swim cue at Nationals in Vermont I realized I did NOT have my goggles. So me along with all of the other age groupers behind me were yelling for "Rob (my husband) with the pink bag" until finally after tons of people were yelling he heard them from afar and I grabbed my goggles and ran at high speed to the edge of the water where my age group was waiting to go in! Ah, those strawberry-blonde moments! 

Here is what I need to take in my bag which you would expect:
1. Swim Goggles
2. Swim Cap



3. Bike Helmet


I love these pink gloves too but I don't race in them!
 It would take too much time to put these on in the transition area!
4. Bike Shoes



5. Tri Suit and Wetsuit if it is an open water swim


My new tri suit from Abpro Sports! I love the compression and coverage this suit gives me!
Yes, that is snow. Yes it has been really cold and windy most of March!
6. Running Shoes



7. Running Belt



8. Transition Area Mat
Transition mat from Tri-Clips. They have lots of fun colors this year!

And other things such as:
9. A Timing Strap:
While one is provided for you they aren't always as comfortable as these great Virginia Triathlon Series timing straps!

I know what you're thinking - It's not pink! But, it sure is comfy!
10. Body Glide:
I was totally reminded of this today when I was running in my new tri suit! Body Glide really prevents chafing from running and works great to get your wetsuit on and off!


11. My new Garmin Forerunner 10 so I can check my run pace



12. New Skin Liquid Bandage Spray:




I love this stuff! This really protects your feet from cuts and blisters! I bike and run without socks so it has helped immensely!  Also I've had times when I have cut my feet on rocks getting out of the water and it seems to have helped my feet heal quick! Let me warn you though: Spray this away from people and outside because it STINKS!

13. Baby Powder:
I sprinkle baby powder in my run shoes so I can slip my feet in my shoes easily after coming out of the water! Works great!

14. A really small straw (from a Capris Sun) for my wheels:


Here you can see how the long valve extender
My valve extenders on my Zipp 808 Carbon Clincher Wheels have a tendency to come loose and the air leaks when I try to put air in my tires, but I found if I empty the air out of my tires I can usually put air back in without it leaking out and without having to take my wheels off to fix the extenders. Due to the length of the extenders you need something very small to let the air out of the tires and I have found the straw does the trick! If you have ever had a continual problem with your valve extenders leaking - try this! It works and saves alot of time and frustration! 

15. Black Trash Bags or Plastic Bags:

I keep bags in my pack just in case it it pouring down rain. It helps keep your bike dry when you come out!

16. An Extra Tri Suit:
Just in case something happens to the one you are wearing!

17. Windbreaker:
I keep a zip up windbreaker in my bag just in case it is really chilly or really rainy! I found I just can't get a pullover on when I'm wet but a zip up is fast and easy! And yes, it is pink!

AND, 

18. Tools and Tape:

I also keep an assortment of tools on hand just in case I need to adjust my derailleur or seat. I also keep electrical tape and plumbers tape in case I have to reseal my valve extenders.

Ooooo! Pink Tape!

========================================================================

Ok, clearly I've got the pink theme going on! My uncle David always says "There's something wrong with your bike! It's pink!" or "There's something wrong with your new tri suit! It's pink!". 

This week I will also make my bike super pretty clean and lube her chain but ofcourse it will get filthy on the way to the race site and I will have to clean her again when I get there! I think I'm starting to get CRAZY EXCITED!!!!!!

On another note we just celebrated Easter this weekend and the kids were very excited in anticipation! 



And unrelated to triathlon or kids is this pretty funny video and since we have goats, I just had to add it in!






No comments:

Post a Comment