Monday, March 25, 2013

Bouncing Back After Injury, Tracking Your Pace When Racing, Where Is Spring?


We knew some bad weather was headed our way this weekend so luckily I got my brick (bike-run) in on Saturday. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen because Saturday got so busy! I looked outside and noticed the ponies were running circles NOT in the fenced in area so we had to spend some time getting the ponies back in and fixing the fence. Our goats are pretty hard on fences and can put a hole in most anything! Then on Friday night I actually shut the car door on my hand which made biking a bit difficult at first but then I figured I could hold my handle differently for the duration of my ride and it would be ok! My hand is feeling MUCH better now luckily but boy did it look BAD! Only me, right?
Garmin Forerunner 10  - I got pink OFCOURSE :)
Returning to running after having had an injury has NOT been pretty. I used to be able to determine my pace just by the feel but lately I'll go out and run and think I'm smoking the run and come to find out I was running quite slow for me! I feel like returning to my comfortable and faster pace is going to take some time with more run mileage back on my feet. I finally broke down and purchased one of the simplest Garmins, a Garmin Forerunner 10, so I can track my pace when I am running during races. Last year I used a simple watch with a stopwatch and I could track my pace at each mile. However, I feel like my running has suffered so much that I really need to know what my pace is when I start running before I get to that first mile. I have to admit that the Garmin Forerunner 10 is pretty COOL! I love that I can see my pace while I am running and then upload my data to view lots of specific data, and I can upload my running into Training Peaks now! The price is pretty decent coming in at $129.


My first triathlon for the season is coming up on April 6th. By this time last year the weather was great and I had been outside a ton riding, running, and working on my transitions. I have still been outside but it has been very cold and very windy! Riding and running in headwinds is tough and I can't wait for some sunnier weather that STAYS! I do need to work on my transitions in the next couple of weeks but it has been TOO cold to be outside without socks on! I don't wear socks when racing! If it doesn't warm up I'll be out there practicing with some very cold toes! By the look of the roads I'm afraid I might see a treadmill in my future today. The roads around me are not clear! Enjoy the winter scenery! While it is pretty, let's hope it doesn't return until NEXT WINTER!







You can't believe the number of Cardinals and other birds at our house!
They were SO beautiful and loving the cat food! Luckily the cat was too scared to grab one!




No comments:

Post a Comment