Friday, April 5, 2013

Pre-Race Prep!

It's hard to believe that the first race of the season is tomorrow! I'll be doing the Smithfield Sprint in Smithfield, Virginia! It's a 300m pool swim followed by a 10 mile bike and 5K run! Some people are cool and collected but I'm not so sure that exists in my personality! I'm a bit super excited and nervous! It is going to be quite a competitive race! At least three people in my age group are typically overall winners and if they don't make it in the top three, I'm not so sure there will be enough space at the podium! I know it isn't about racing other people (is it?) and it should be about racing yourself, but I sure do like a good beer glass as much as anybody else! 

So, as of now:
1. The car is packed - CHECK,

I have my tri bag and all of my gear I will need (I hope!),
a bag with a change of clothes and towel for after the race,
bike pump, two sets of clothes for the kids and their winter jackets -
Yes! It is still COLD and will by chilly tomorrow!
2. The bike is cleaned and lubed - CHECK,


AND,

3. I have reading material for our 8 + hours of car riding - CHECK.


We will leave at 3:30 AM in the morning to get to the race site which is a four hour drive from where we live. It is much cheaper than getting a hotel room and much easier than packing up the kids in the morning in a hotel room to get to the race site. The car is packed and ready to go!

The race start time is 10, however after ALL of that work on swimming this winter, I still have a start time of 10:50. That is a bit depressing. I was hoping to get into the water quicker this year but there are so many participants and my swim time just isn't good enough to go out quicker yet! Some people are going out as late as 12:28. It is going to make for a long day! 

After the race we are hoping to head to Richmond, Virginia to do some fun stuff with the kids. It is a GREAT city with lots to do and it has so many great museums for the kids! 

To prepare for the race this week I did several bricks although I was supposed to do one yesterday it ended up snowing AGAIN! I'm feeling much stronger than last year off of the bike but who knows what race day will bring! Tomorrow I will just go as hard as I can and have a super duper time doing it!


I hope everybody has a great race weekend to those of you who are racing! I'm super stoked! Hope you are too! Go get 'em and have a great time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment