Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Why The Chicken Crossed The Road And Other Bits Of Triathlon Randomness

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Well, to catch the triathlete ofcourse! It usually takes me several minutes to "shoo" away chickens when I try to start running from the house. Well, recently I really confused the chickens by running in circles in the driveway. At every turn they would chase until they figured out I wasn't really going anywhere except back to the house! 

I don't know about you but I am SUPER STOKED about the time change. This means daylight in the evenings which means somebody (like my mother or husband) gets to watch the kids while I can get on my REAL bike and off that trainer!! It's also getting VERY close to race season: THANK GOODNESS!! My first race is in April so it is time to start training more race specific. This means bricks, faster running, and a different type of training for the pool.


With the time change and since it is nearing "in-season" time I changed my schedule so I will no longer be getting up at 5AM to get in my work out! Let me tell you, I enjoyed not getting up so early all week! This means I stopped using my amazing swim coach Eva Steib and am swimming on my own and get training plans from my crazy awesome triathlon coach Jim McGehee with One-on-One Endurance. Let me tell you, after just one of Jim's swim workouts I'm not so sure I can use my arms this week! 

I also swam my fastest 100 EVER last week! When I started with Eva Steib in September my fastest clocked 100 for 25 yards was 1:54 although my average race swim time was more around 2:10 last year for 25 yards. Last week I clocked a 100 in 1:38 in a 25 yard pool! Now that is COOL! I was beginning to wonder if all of that time in the pool was worth it to loose a couple of seconds! Now, for many of you this is not an uber fast swim time but having just made it across the pool in May of 2010, this is finally a bit of progress!

On the run side of things I am back to running but not running for several months is NOT a quick bouncing back process! My feet are doing pretty good after a several month bout with plantar fasciitis. They aren't perfect but I can walk and I am not dying! I also have some new uber cool and ofcourse pink running shoes! I haven't had too problems with my feet since I changed my shoes! So far I really love these!

Nike Free +3
Running during the week is not always in the funnest of places such as running circles in the driveway while I take care of three children who are busy playing in rounds bales of hay or running in the WAY TOO HILLY and somewhat dreary cemetery while the Y watches my kids.



What my winter weekday cemetery running has looked like: http://adventuresin-tri-mom-athlon.blogspot.com/2013/01/week-day-running.html

The weather has also been pretty tough up until this week! Quite cold and very windy and add some snow into that mix as well! It was so windy biking the other weekend that I almost thought I would have to walk my bike up a hill because the wind was pushing me back so hard! The weather was also bad enough that I actually got on the treadmill that I use to hang clothes and toys on in my bedroom. I had enough of that after 17 minutes! Just doesn't feel "real" to me! 

Did someone leave a note on my car? No! A shingle landed on the car due to the high winds!
The true purpose for my treadmill
The entire diet thing I threw out the window after I didn't loose any weight. I decided I love lattes, cheese, sour cream, and beer way to much but I am watching how much I eat and what I eat. The next experiment might be a gluten free one but that would remove beer from my diet so I don't think I can go THAT far! 

On an end note I have been heading back to our local Y to swim in the afternoons. That place is loaded down with triathletes! Since I started going back last week the pool is full of folks in their VTS (Virginia Triathlon Series) swim caps, chiseled triathlon bodies (you can pick the triathletes out of a crowd!), and even cooler I saw one lady with a swim, bike, run tattoo on her leg! This reminds me why I became friends with a girl in South Carolina who I met at a race there. She had a beautiful swim, bike, run tattoo across her arm and I thought "now that is a girl I need to know!". Anybody who can plaster a swim, bike, run scene on their body has to be seriously cool and has to really love triathlon! 
Angie's tattoo
Angie is one cool gal! Love that tattoo!
Here is to more light in the evenings and somersaults to a quickly approaching race season! Happy Training Peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment