Sunday, March 3, 2013

Triathlon Bling: The Drool List

As the season quickly approaches I find myself daydreaming about really cool gear. Will really cool overly priced stuff make you faster? No, probably not, but it sure does look COOL! Last March I purchased my dream wheels: ZIPP 808 Carbon Clinchers. I also updated my crank and cassette to Shimano Ultegra with a Dura Ace chain. 
Zipp 808 Carbon Clinchers

When I got into triathlon I really leaped in. I had a comfort bike I had never ridden and another local gal talked me into riding with her but I couldn't keep up on the comfort bike. So my husband let me borrow his bike and I ended up riding his bike which was WAY too big for me in my first triathlon. 

Husband Rob's bike I used in my first tri gone duathlon due to severe weather
P.S. That is my old car. I miss it. Never trade in your 4WD with heated leather seats for a minivan.
Keep it in the yard to use when it snows!!!!!!
I knew I needed to buy a road bike but I couldn't find a new or used one in my size. I had also thought about a tri bike but hadn't made that leap either. I had been thinking about a little pink tri bike I had seen in the Giant catalog. There had only been 2 in the entire US left. So I called the local bike store to see if there were any still for sale and come to find out somebody in town had ordered that cute little pink bike and returned it and there it was sitting on their sales floor! Hey, you, in town, thanks so much for ordering and returning her! I love her! Out of all the towns for her to walk into, she walked into mine! It was meant to be. I bought her without even riding her. It was a great choice!
My cute pink tri bike with her extremely awesome Zipps!
Well, I had her but I really couldn't ride her. I had no idea how to shift those gears on the aero bars. I figured it out on the race site the day before I raced on her. And while I bought her in 2010 I didn't really get down into an aero position until last year in 2012 and I'm short enough I had to make alot of modifications in order to be able to get down on my aerobars.

So last year my little pink aluminum tri bike got fancied up with her new crank, new cassette, new chain, and my beautiful dream wheels - the Zipp 808 Carbon Clinchers! When I first rode on them I was wondering if I had made a mistake! They felt so scary and I felt like I couldn't control my bike. Now I've gotten used to them but keep them on year round to bike in so I can stay accustomed to the "feel" of the wheels. They glide like magic but I get thrown around in the wind ALOT! 
Drool, drool, drool: Zipp Vuka Stealth Aerobars
This year I've been daydreaming about a new handlebar and aerobar set. My aerobars are flat instead of sloped up so they hurt my wrist and arms and back. Well, I know what I would love to have but I can definitely ONLY dream about these, ha ha! Lately I've been drooling over the Zipp Vuka Stealth Aerobars. They are an integrated stem and basebar with 1,920 fit options. However, it sells for $1070 and doesn't even include the shifters or the extensions. Add an additional $130 for for the Zipp Vuka Carbon extensions and $391 for the Zipp Vuka R2C Aero Shifters. Now that is alot of money for the front end of your bike! But boy would it look cool, ha ha! 
Zipp Carbon Extensions
Zipp Vuka Aeroshifters
My second item on my drool list is the Gyro Air Attack Helmet. It isn't yet available but should be available this spring and sells for $200. 
Drool Number 2: Air Attack Helmet

You can also purchase this helmet with a shield for $40 more. I am one gal that did not buy into the aerotail helmet fad. 

In my opinion and based on other research I read, I just don't think they are safe. I would be one of the dufus heads to fall on my bike and break some part on my body because of one of those helmets. Yes, evidence supports helmets with the aerotail will make you faster but is it worth the risk in injury? No. I think first and foremost the helmet is there to serve as SAFETY. So I have been using a pretty inexpensive helmet that only serves to protect my head and I find it to be comfortable. So, not only is the Air Attack a safer option with it's rounded helmet shape but it is also very aerodynamic. This baby I am getting when it comes available!

Also on my drool list is various uber cute outfits which if you purchase more than one it would add up to being a ridiculous amount of money. I've been drooling over the idea of purchasing a lululemon running skirt although I don't like the color selections so much this spring. This runs for $58.00:


I've also been wiping the slober from my face on the thought of the cute hotpink Athleta skort. This comes in at $49.00:


While daydreaming about athletic gear I also came across a site that has some pretty cute skorts as well! Check out this one! It comes form ink-n-burn and they have a pretty cool selection of skorts! This runs for about $75.00: 

Women's Pink Ink Skirt
So my 2013 Triathlon Bling Drool List is as follows:
1. The Zipp Vuka Stealth stem and base with extensions and aeroshifters  - $1591 without tax;

2. The Gyro Aero Attack Helmet - $200;
3. Some uber cute running skirts from lululemon, Athleta, or Ink-n-Burn;

and

4. A New TriSuit! This one can be wiped off the list!

Well, admittedly I had a new trisuit on my wish list and this year I had one made by Abpro Sports! It's great because you can make a custom suit and only have to order one! It will be made and shipped to me in April, hopefully before my first race! And let's hope it fits, otherwise it will be looking really chic hanging from my wall! Check it out!

Check out the Tri-Clips and One-on-One Endurance logos! Cool!
Will my dream list come true this year? Probably not! Particularly not the extremely awesome Zipp front end stem and bar for my bike! This year I have to figure out how to get to London for the Age Group Sprint World Championship. We can probably cover expenses for me but I really wanted to bring my family with me! I keep playing Publishers Clearing House but daggon if I haven't won yet and I keep saying I want to win the lottery but I fail to ever buy a lottery ticket. Well, at least we are rich in our hearts or so that is how the saying goes, ha ha. Happy drooling over some of your favorite bling! What triathlon bling are you daydreaming about for this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment