Friday, December 7, 2012

Swim Progression: A Simple Catch-Up Drill

Bath County Sprint 2012

Today I’m pretty excited because I made some progress in the pool. I’m a fairly new adult swimmer and it has been a challenge to figure out this thing called swimming. In one of my blogs I had mentioned what drills had helped me the most since I started with an amazing swim instructor Eva Steib from the Carter Athletic Center in Roanoke, Virginia:

http://adventuresin-tri-mom-athlon.blogspot.com/2012/11/swimming-progression-and-drills-to.html

However, I still have not grasped an understanding of the rate of rotation and when to pull but today I made some progress! I watched one of the amazing swimmers in our group swim class this morning. I have been pulling while breathing when in actuality you are supposed to turn your head while one arm is extended and then pull. Today I finally did it!

So, for anybody else out there who is foggy about swimming:

1. Reach out far with your right arm;
2. Turn your head to the left to breathe;
3. Bring your left arm up out of the water in recovery ready to reach out WHILE your right arm is extended;
4. Make sure your hips are rotated up while your right arm is extended out and while you are breathing;
5. Reach your left arm out far while pulling with the right and putting your head back in the water; and
6. Repeat for the other side and don’t forget to KEEP kicking while breathing too.

This is a totally different feel and different rhythm then what I have been doing. It really made a huge improvement in the “feel” of the water and how I was moving through the water. I was so excited to better understand when to reach out, when to pull, and when to breathe!

A drill to help you with keeping your arm extended, turning your head, and having your arm ready in recovery is a simple “catch-up” drill as follows:

1. Kick for six kicks with your head in the water and both arms extended;
2. Pull back with your right arm while your left is still extended;
3. Remember to rotate your hips and turn your head to breathe;
4. Return your hand to the center so both arms are extended;
5. Kick for six kicks with your head in the water; and
6. Repeat with the other side.
Age Group Sprint National Championship, Burlington, VT, 2012
This simple catch up drill is a great drill to practice putting everything together! So new adult swimmers, keep plugging along – eventually it must come together! Here is thinking happy thoughts towards the swim for next season!!

No comments:

Post a Comment