Monday, December 31, 2012

Ringing in the New Year - Year In Recap and What Is To Come.....


2012 in Triathlon was a great year for me! I got a coach, made a huge improvement, and placed at almost every race this season in the top percent, all while having a great time!

I made huge leaps after Coach Jim McGehee with One-On-One Endurance took me on! I finally placed in an open water swim for the first time and consistently placed at every race thereafter landing in the top percentage. 
1st Open Water Swim Placing, Bath County Sprint
I learned it is ok to push hard. It will hurt but you will not die. I had never pushed myself that hard before. I also started to train consistently and found myself biking and running further and more than ever before. 

I went back to where I had done my first triathlon to take an overall win. I went there to do it and walked away with it!
Overall win in South Carolina July 15, 2012

A year of podium finishes in recap:
Smithfield Sprint, First race of the season March 31st, 2012
Angels Race Sprint, Lynchburg, VA. April 22, 2012. I raced with the flu. I DO NOT recommend that!
Salem Sprint, Salem, VA June 3, 2012
Bath County Sprint June 23, 2012 First Open Water Podium Finish!

TriAdventure Summer Sprint, Christiansburg, VA August 5, 2012

Goochland Sprint, Goochland, VA August 11, 2012
Spotsylvania Sprint, Spotsylvania, VA August 26, 2012
Richmond Tri Club presented by Three Sports Sprint, September 16, 2012 Richmond, VA
Warrenton Sprint, Warrenton, VA - September 23 , 2012 -  last race of the season!
My favorite race of the year was the Age Group Sprint National Championship in Burlington, Vermont.
Age Group Sprint Nationals Burlington, VT August 19, 2012
Last year's triathlon goal was to make the top three in my age group in the Virginia Triathlon Series and make TEAM USA Triathlon and I did it!

Most of this year's race schedule is planned out and I'm excited about the upcoming season! While I think I've gotten faster in the off-season I still have alot of work to do to be where I would like.  I've come to realize that base building and improvement is one which takes years of work. One of the big goals for the upcoming season is to secure enough funds to take my family with me to the Age Group Sprint World Championship in London in September 2013 and then take the family to the Netherlands to see their Dutch side of the family. I feel assured with enough hard work I can make this happen! For homeschool in 2013 we will enjoy learning about British History in preparation of taking the kids to London! What a fun way to learn! Learning about Sherlock Holmes to the Beatles sounds like a fun year to me!
This weekend with my husband Robert after a  ride in vicious winds at 37 degrees!
What are your goals for the upcoming season? Mine are really quite similar to last years! Most of the athletes I know are taking on bigger distances from half iron man to iron man. My goal is to be faster and to move into the International distance some. Here is to looking forward to another great 2013 triathlon season! I wish you all a beautiful, happy, healthy, and successful New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment