Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How To Work It All In

Do you find yourself wondering how you will ever get your workout in for the day? As a stay at home and homeschooling mom of three children ages 7, 5, and 2, it can be quite challenging. I am NOT a morning person but I have found that I LOVE to get up early in the morning and be done with any workouts by 7:30 AM. Then I feel great, feel like I accomplished something, had some time for me, and nothing has interfered with the time I get with my children. 

However, we have had one broken down car for the past week. That means there isn't enough time in the morning to wisp myself away into exercise land before my husband has to bike to get to work on time. So for the last week I have been fitting in workouts throughout the day WITH my kids. I don't like how it interferes with my time with my kids but I like to follow a schedule and get it all done. 

I had to skip my swim for the first time since I have taken up a new swim coach because I just couldn't fit it all in today and I had to be creative with getting in a run. Usually I get the time to run in the morning but with the new broken down car schedule I have the option of going to our local YMCA where they watch my kids and they let me go outside in a cemetery across the street to run. It gets boring running there but it is better than nothing. The options are so limited with little kids. Today I couldn't get to the Y before their Child Watch closed at 2 PM so I thought I would find a quiet rural park with some running options where I could run circles around the playground. This is yet another defying feat of a desperate time strapped athlete and mom. 




Luckily NOBODY was at the park. This way I didn't have to worry about any drama with any other kids and any parents wondering why this crazy mother was running circles around her children. You have to admit this is slightly ridiculous. The park had a lovely limestone dusted meandering path around the playground. Bigger than a track with natural curves and gradual inclines and descents. It was a beautiful run, something different, and I could see and hear my children. Not a bad option for the day. I will say my GPS wouldn't read here. It said I was running a whopping 32 per minute mile. I don't think I could do that if I tried, ha ha!

Well, I made it about 42 minutes before the littlest threw up in the tunnel. Probably too many cookies from the party we had just left! So, at least I got a run in and the kids got some time to play. It can be crazy but it's nice to get it all in!



No comments:

Post a Comment