Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Dreaded Holiday Slump.....


Did any of you fall into the Holiday Slump? You know, the one where you ditch your workouts and eat whatever happens to be at every house you are visiting for the holidays? I am SO guilty of this. What is worse is that I had been sick for a couple of weeks, then did a long run and bike last weekend, and then ditched most of my workouts Christmas week. Yesterday I got back to the gym for a run and swim but it was also my son's third birthday!

Thijs Turned Three!
While I am feeling quite guilty for my slump I have been very busy preparing for Christmas, a birthday, and visiting many friends. I am reminded of an article I recently read on triathlon.com called "5 Off-Season Rules to Follow" in which they actually recommend gaining weight on purpose during the off-season. Apparently research shows that training with a higher weight teaches your body to recruit more motor neurons and muscle fibers so when you do loose the weight your body will have to work less to achieve more. 

You can find this article at:
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/12/training/the-new-off-season-rules_45467/4. 
Enjoying holiday cookies at a friend's house
So, while I feel guilty for ditching my workouts this week, I did enjoy the holidays with my family and friends and that is something that only comes around once a year. I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays as much as us and you get back on the exercise wagon by January 1st if you happened to have fallen off like me ;). 

No comments:

Post a Comment