Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Bone Scan for a Stress Fracture


Something I thought I would never hear my daughter saying : "Mommy, step back. You are radioactive!".  I went for a bone scan on Monday July 15th to see if my shin injury is a stress fracture. X-rays are unlikely to show stress fractures and my X-rays were clear.






A bone scan is a pretty long process and you have to go back to the hospital twice in the same day. First you go in and they inject a radioactive isotope in your bloodstream. The isotope they use is different based on what they are trying to see. In my case they used Tc99m-MDP (Methylene Diphosphonate). It's injected while you are laying under the machine that will take an initial flow reading as the isotope moves through your body. The radioactive waves move through your body and bone and the camera is able to take a picture of those radioactive particles. 


Yep, smiling for the camera ha ha
Initial Flow
Initial Flow
Towards the end of the Initial Flow
Initial Flow Images
Then you return hours later because the radioactive material needs time to soak into your bone and they can at that point take more pictures to determine if there is an anomaly. In my case the technician would be looking for a brighter than expected spot at the site of the injury. Scanning the area of interest only takes 10 minutes, 5 minutes each for two separate leg positions.

Second Reading


Front View of Bone Scan
Bone Scan Side View
However, you are emitting higher than normal levels of radioactivity for at least two days. You are also advised to keep your distance, at least three feet, from children. They injected me with 2 years worth of normal radiation you would receive in one go. So, "distant" parenting for a stay at home mom has been interesting to say the least. It is hardest for my three year old cuddle bug and even my daughter said "I haven't hugged you ALL day!!". Ofcourse the family jokes about "glowing" started pretty quick and my husband had to say "You look 'HOT'!". Yes, ha ha.

I had to pile all three kids in the back row of the van so they wouldn't be too close to me!
While I have an appointment with Dr. Bolin, the sports medicine doctor, on Wednesday July 16th, I was impatient and went by the hospital to get the Radiologist's results from my bone scan. Just as I had seen when they did the scan, there is "no focal accumulation" to suggest I have a stress fracture or shin splint. So that leaves me with a bum leg and still no diagnosis. I'm sure the doctor will have some ideas on Wednesday. At least this makes me feel better about not being able to swim, bike, or run! I'm so tired of reading and hearing about people with stress fractures and shin splints that can still swim and bike and those people with shin splints that can still run! Let's hope a real diagnosis and solution is in my near future. I hear you calling Age Group Triathlon Nationals. Let me be well in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment